Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HAVA

Thanks

HAVA

Hi,

I wonder if you have heard of a service from britishtv abroad that uses a hava system with a UK proxy I assume to supply for a cost a monthly service similar to slingbox?

Do you have any thoughts on this service?

Cheers
    Edward

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

Re: HAVA

from what i gather, it is almost like a proxy server....
    a proxy is where you connect onto a UK network using an unsecure server...this masks where you are connecting to the internet from, and if you find a uk proxy it mean you can use the services offered by BBC I Player, ITV Cach up and 4OD, as these players think you are conencting from the uk, whereas if they think you are conencting from outside the uk you will be blocked from using the iplayer services.
    the site you mention offers, for a fee, access to a uk server. you can use this access for anything, but they are advertising it mainly for access to the players i mentioned above. it has sprung up on a number of forums when all the telmicro saga started, offering uktv via the net. personally i have not tried it but have looked at costafreetv.com...

a slingbox operates by sending a signal from a host "digibox" to a reciver slingbox, via the net.

at the moment i am not much of a fan of the internet streaming systems...they tend to have a lot of buffering, especially when the servers are busy, they are no good if you have a download limit, slingboxes are very dependent on upload speeds, quality from iplayer services are not too good, especially when boosted up to a big screen tv.

i think others have mentioned uknova or the box.biz for the uk tv download needs....
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks

Thanks for that info.

I think you are right in that it acts like a proxy server.

I want to be able to get BBC1 & BBC2 legally, i.e by capturing the free to air signal and not a rebroadcasted signal.
    Then record and watch at my leisure.

I haven't got room for 2.4 dish on neighbour's roof, so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    Which is why I looked at Britishtvabroad.com and their hava solution.

I looked at costafreetv.com and it's not too bad but doesn't solve my problem.

I have used a slingbox today from a friend in UK who has Virgin [as I do in UK & Freeview] and it was ok although the picture was small and of course I can't record this end. This may be a short term solution for me with Freeview via slingbox from UK legally.

However I would still like to have a legal paid for system that allows me to watch and record freeview programs [at least] but as the dish size required is large and /or signal is weak I don't see how this will happen.

If I could have played the streamed sign al through my TV that would have helped but I don't think that is possible.

I didn't have any real trouble today with my internet streaming slingbox system, but I guess if the whole of the Costa wanted to watch then maybe a lot of buffering would ensue and thereby ruin pleasure.

The slingbox upload speed was ok today but obviously I cannot guarantee that it will always be.

I guess that the quality from iplayer services are not that good when boosted up to a big screen tv but this is ONLY an alternative scenario, not the ideal scenario.

I looked at uknova and box.biz but neither seems appropriate.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help, I appreciate it.

I am hoping that either SKY or BBC get their acts together and try to make capital from a large market in Europe. BBC Prime or WORLD doesa nothing for me.

It's beyond my understanding from a business point of view why they can't tag on to someone like DIGITAL + and offer UK TV services as other channels by subscription?

Oh well, thats my rant over with, have a good week.
    Edward

Thanks

Myself and a friend who lives in Denmark have been looking into ways of receiving good quality Live UK TV without a dish and mesh or a hefty subscription for the past few months!!

What we found was that its possible to create a tunnel that allows your computer to spoof software and applications into thinking its really located in a different part of the world which in turn allows things like Zattoo UK, HULU, BBCiplayer, 4oD to run on your system! You can then use IR senders to send the signals to your TV so you can sit and watch LIVE UK TV on the sofa!

No massive satellite dishes, No wire mesh aerials, No illegal subscriptions that can be cut off at any minute and no huge bills for installation and monthly subscription!!

I won't go into too much technical info.. everything you need to know is on the website at: http://www.vpnuk.info all you need to get started is a decent ADSL connection!

Regarding Proxies
    You can get round some websites like the iplayer by using normal proxies, unfortunately proxies are slow and cause a lot of buffer, they're unreliable and always prone to disappearing just when you need them most. Intelligent programs like Zattoo will not work at all under a normal proxy, it uses whats known as Geographical Location Awareness, in other words it ignores what your browser is saying and looks straight at all incoming and outgoing TCP connections, if you try it in Spain you'll only ever get Spanish TV, same applies to Germany, Switzerland, Denmark etc.. This is where the tunnel comes in, logging into the UK based VPN from anywhere in the world will give you the UK version of Zattoo, thats Live UK TV for free and its 100% legal!! BBC1 BBC2 BBC3 BBC4 ITV STV CH4 FIVE and loads more!! it even has regional BBC TV

Zattoo, iplayer and Hulu broadcast range are between 500-800KBPS using the H.264 or On2 VP6 codecs so its very high quality.

For more info and a list of downloads and what channels you can get take a look at the site: http://www.vpnuk.info..

Thanks

Hi vpntunnel,

I would not normally allow self promotion but I shall allow the above post as it is a service that related to the original question.

But please dont go overboard with constant promotion postings.

I have also moved the post from its location to here as it is not strictly a satellite post.
    Bagi

The Sat and PC Guy Forum

Thanks

I wouldnt dream of spamming the forums.. and thanks!

Thanks

I have abandoned this idea and I have now set up a system using slingbox with humax freeview box in UK and controlling the box from there and streaming this over the net.

It all works well.

I would still prefer a tv solution but hey ho.

Best wishes to one and all for your replies.

Edward

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

becareful with slingboxes - especially if you have monthly upload and download quotas....
    if you are on a "limited" service you may find you go over your quotes very quickly.
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks

Thanks satandpcguy.

I don't think I have a fixed limit but I will soon see.

I am watching live and recorded programs and transferring them to my philips hard disk recorder here for dvd's later.

You are right, still cant beat tv signal etc.

Have a good weekend.

Goodbye to HAVA, hello slingbox.

It's not perfect but it beats nothing at all and all the cowboy promises and stories I hear.

Edward

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eddymartin
    I have abandoned this idea and I have now set up a system using slingbox with humax freeview box in UK and controlling the box from there and streaming this over the net.

It all works well.

I would still prefer a tv solution but hey ho.

Best wishes to one and all for your replies.

Edward
    What is the upload speed coming from the UK for you to receive a seemless Sling ? About 1.5mb up ?
    And your download speed in Spain - are you using 3mb down for the Sling ??

Cheers;
    DSB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information