Thread: Freesat V Sky

Thanks

Freesat V Sky

As I have posted in the last few week I have my 1.9 dish which I share with my upstairs neighbour, its located on his sun terrace, and we have a twin LNB, I have my old Grundig (Silver) box that is showing signs of wear. I also am having some problems with my set up and have asked the engineers to come and have a look as they only installed the system in early November. Not only do I not get BBC, C4, Sky3, Talksport radio and several others, but I can only the the EPG for the next twelve hours, I have tried many of the recommendation on this forum for trying different frequencies but only every get 'no signal found'.

When I check the signal strength it shows around 75% but never shows any signal quality nor does the EPG background music work (not that I want it but I assume it is an indication of signal quality or strength). I was informed via another forum that this is probably because the box is looking for its default setting (11778), but as my area is in probably the worst area on the whole of the Costa Blanca for receiving the signal the box cannot find anything from the North Beam.

I think I've got this wright so far although my technical expertise was completed when I turned the TV and Sat box on.

Can anybody tell me if there would be any benefit in changing my box for a better Sky box (if I could get one of e-bay) or changing to a Freesat box.

I do understand that either a Sky HD or Freesat PVR won't work as I only have a single fed into my system and I would required a Quad LNB to make use of the PVR facilities.

But if by obtaining either the SKY HD box or the Freesat PVR box and not using the record facilities would either improve my reception problems?

I was hoping I could find somebody local to me who had either a newer Sky box or a Freesat box but have not been succesfull, I live just outside Algorfa.

Sorry if this subject has already been covered but I am still unclear, so I hope somebody can give me a clear indication as to my best options.

many thanks

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

Re: Freesat V Sky

firstly, the signal test screen on a sky box only looks at the 11778 frequency.
    this is the only frequency it will measure.
    everytime you press the services button the box looks at 11778 - because the menu system in the sky box wants to play the EPG backgound music....which is only on 11778.
    11778 is also where the main EPG data is located....on all other frequencies there is only limited (about 6 (ish) hours) of programme information.

this is why you need to change the default transponder, so the box can get some EPG data to start to work. once a successfull download of this 6 (ish) hours EPG information is loaded 99 time out of 100 the default transponder reverts back to 11778 - as is should do.

On the CB, 11778 is very strong in the morning and late at night....

But also, different sky boxes have different tuners inside them, and therefore they react to this 11778 frequency differently./...some love it (pace 2600), some hate it (Pace 440 and 445!)

A freesat box gets its information from a totally different satellite, which is very very stong and therefore there is no need to change any default settings.
    A freesat box will not be able to use a sky card, even a freesatfom sky card, and therefore no C4HD, Fiver Five US, the strong FIVE (freesat five is on the same frequency as bbc2!), the alternate ITVS or C4's (on 12402 or 12480 - very strong at night)

If you can get your hands on a pace 2600 (or failing that a pace 430) then do so (ask bill you know who i mean! he may even post it to you!).

you can use a PVR with only one cable, but you will not be able to watch one channel and record another at the same time...one of the advantages of a PVR. you can record it, but you may have fun trying to determin which of the two cable inputs the boxes decide to use to record from!
    For two cable feeds to a PVR you need a TWIN output LNB, or a 4 output LNB if you plan to have other reecivers elsewhere inthe house (bedroom for example)

I hope i have not missed anything out.....
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks

Many thanks really really helpful, just out of interest I have tried a friends Sky box Amstrad DRM400 and guess what I can get BBC2, picture not that great but at least it receives it along with the full EPG for tomorrow and the next day etc, so it has got to be my box that is on the blink after all.

Still not sure whether to go for a freesat box or a Pace 2600 as it will cost about the same for either (Humax Foxsat HD and Pace 2600CI, but second hand refurbished).

But I assume as I can get BBC2 with my dish then I should be able to get C5 on a freesat box.

Thanks for all your help

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

glad to help..
    as i said different boxes boxes act differently...

as for "freesat box or a Pace 2600"
    on freesat you are only getting bbc hd andi itvhd extra...
    whereas on a sky box with freesatfromsky card you get the strong itvs, strong c4's, all the fives all day,

juts a thought....

happy viewing...
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks

It has been suggested that a Thomson HD box not operating under the HD subscription service will perform as good as a PACE 2600, so am back to square one

A new Freesat HD box or a secondhand/refurbished Sky or Sky HD box really totally confused as to what is the best way forward.

All I really want is to be able to get the five usual channels BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4, & C5 any thing else will be a bonus as far as my viewing option are concerned, but Freesat or Sky Help!!!!!!!

It was so simple back in the UK oh well that's what makes Spain so different.

Thanks

Quick update the engineer came today and guess what my old Grundig is on its last legs so I really need to make a decision as to what to replace it with.

A brand new Humax Foxsat HD, a refurbished Pace 2600Ci or a Thomson HD without being able to use the HD facilities, I have a couple of weeks to make a decision before going back to the UK for Christmas and making my purchase.

Decisions decisions!!!!!!!

Thanks

Today I tried the Humax Foxsat HD on my system I wasn't blown away with the BBC HD although the picture quality was good not hugely better than the usual SD, but I could not get BBC2, C4 or C5.

So I tried my neighbours Amstrad DRM400 with my Sky free to view card, and got BBC2, and C5.

I am even more unsure of the best way forward for me now!

Thread Information