Sky TV: How to programming your Sky remote to control your TV
Your Sky remote makes use of a special four-digit “code” to operate both your Sky box and your TV, meaning you can use just one remote to handle all Sky functions, to change the TV volume and to turn your TV on and off.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel so you never miss any new videos.
You’ll need your four-digit remote control code when:
- You set up Sky TV by yourself, without the help of an engineer.
- You change your TV set or Sky remote.
- Your Sky remote has been without battery power for more than ten minutes.
Look up your code online
To use the online lookup tool, you’ll need to know the following three things:
- The version of your Sky remote: Remove your Sky remote’s battery cover. Depending on the age of the remote, the details will be printed either on the removable cover or inside the battery compartment. Older Sky remotes may not display a version number, but you can work out the version number if you know the date you bought yours (a).
- The make of your TV: The brand name, e.g. Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung.
- The model of your TV: Usually a string of letters and numbers printed on your TV and in your owner’s manual.
(a) These dates show when each type of remote was introduced: * Version 4: May 2001 (Sky+ introduced) * Version 6: March 2004 * Version 8: January 2006 * Version 9: July 2011
Tip: As long as your TV’s make is recognised, you can leave the model field blank and select Get My Code to display a list of generic remote control codes for your make of TV.
Once you have this information, look up your code online (opens in new window).
I’ve got my remote control code. What next?
Once you’ve got your remote control code, follow these steps to use it:
- Cover the front of your Sky remote, or point the remote away from the TV.
- Press the tv button.
- Point your Sky remote at the TV.
- Hold down the select and red buttons together for a few seconds.
After a few seconds of holding down the buttons, the light at the top of your Sky remote should flash twice.
- Enter your four-digit remote control code.
As you press each number button, the light at the top of your Sky remote will flash once. As soon as the fourth digit is entered, the light should flash twice more.
- Press the select button.
- Cover the front of your Sky remote again, or point the remote away from the TV.
- Press the sky button.
- Point your Sky remote at the TV again.
Your Sky remote should now be able to operate normal Sky functions and TV functions. For example, try pressing the vol +/- buttons on the Sky remote to check whether the TV’s volume changes.
What TV functions can I access through my Sky remote?
Once your Sky remote has been set up to operate your TV, you should be able to:
- Change the volume: Press the vol +/- buttons.
- Turn the TV on and off (standby): Press the tv button and then the power button to turn the TV on or off (standby). After turning on the TV, press the sky button to regain control of the usual Sky functions.
- Switch input mode: Press the tv button and then repeatedly press the help button to cycle through available inputs on your TV, e.g. to switch to using a games console or DVD player. Keep pressing the help button to return to the input that displays Sky TV (usually “HDMI 1”), and then press the sky button to regain control of the usual Sky functions.
Not all TVs will support all of these functions through the Sky remote. If you get stuck, use your TV’s own remote control to select the input where you watch Sky (usually “HDMI 1”), and then press the sky button on your Sky remote to regain control of the usual Sky functions.
More information: https://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/programe_sky_remote_to_control_tv.php
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- Having temporary loss of UK satellite TV signals in the morning? Dont worry, it is just the biannual solar outage time (March 2021)
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- Popular streaming app Mobdro not working and closed down?
- Freesat drops a load of music channels
- Is Sky UK Cardsharing coming to an end – some channels now unavailable!
- Is Virgin Media “cardsharing” about to end, and will it impact your IPTV?
- Top Tip : No Signal message on screen