Astra 2G – the third new UK TV satellite – launch may be delayed.
Although no launch date has been set, apart from “Q2 2014”, this may be delayed.
A Russian Proton-M rocket, which is used to launch satellites, crashed on Friday, about nine minutes after lift-off.
The crash was likely caused by a failure in one of the third stage’s steering engines, reported Oleg Ostapenko, the head of the Russian national space agency Roscosmos.
“The exact cause is hard to establish immediately, we will be studying the telemetry. Preliminary information points to an emergency pressure drop in a steering engine of the third stage of the rocket,” he said.
Fragments of the rocket and its cargo have apparently burned in the atmosphere, he added, which means they could not cause any damage on the ground.
The launch went abnormal on the 540th second of the flight, when an emergency engines shutdown kicked in in response to the rocket deviating from its intended trajectory, the Russian Federal Space Agency reported after the crash. The third stage, which is called Briz-M, was approximately 150km above the ground at that moment and had some 40 seconds to go before deploying its payload into the orbit.
It was the second failure for Russia’s workhorse Proton-M rocket in less than a year, and the second time that it had failed to deliver a European satellite intended to provide advanced telecoms and Internet access to remote parts of Russia, after the last one crashed shortly after launch in 2011. The rocket now has a 7% failure rate.
Astra 2Es launch on 2013 was delayed several months after another Proton rocket failure.
Astra 2G launch news and updates:
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- Having temporary loss of UK satellite TV signals in the morning? Dont worry, it is just the biannual solar outage time (March 2021)
- Popular streaming app Mobdro not working and closed down?
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- Freesat drops a load of music channels
- Is Sky UK Cardsharing coming to an end – some channels now unavailable!
- Sky Arts to be available for free on Freeview and Freesat and Sky boxes soon.
- Is Virgin Media “cardsharing” about to end, and will it impact your IPTV?