Sky Europe…? Will BSKyB merge with Sky Italia and Sky Deutschland
An interesting article in the Guardian today on the prospect of a merger between the Sky operations in Europe to form one broadcasting giant.
The question, as 21st Century Fox (prop R Murdoch) and BSkyB (dominant shareholder R Murdoch) seek to decide whether Sky Deutschland, Sky Italia and BSkyRupert can somehow be brought together to form Sky Europe, our continent’s supreme pay-TV operation, is not – curiously – whether an incurably bureaucratic European commission will approve such a controversial deal. For we probably know the answer to that already (from four years ago, when Mr M tried to buy back all of BSkyB).
“The commission has come to the conclusion that BSkyB’s presence as a leading pay-TV operator in the UK and Ireland with News Corporation’s presence as a leading pay-TV operator in Italy, Germany and Austria does not raise serious doubts as to its compatibility with the internal market in relation to a possible increased bargaining power as regards the negotiation and acquisition of rights to TV content.” Which, rationally considered, makes you wonder why the Bun and other Rupertian organs bang on so balefully about the evils of Brussels.
No: the real question is why a continent so rich in history and worldly wealth should be so puny at entertaining and informing itself.
Read more at : http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/08/sky-looms-european-media-unity-rupert-murdoch
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- How to set up a Freesat Humax HDR 1100S with Freetime
- ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD services changing frequencies
- UK TV and Streaming in Spain post Brexit
- 60ft WWII satelite dishes found in field in Lincolnshire.
- ITVBe – a new mainly female-oriented channel from ITV
- CBS Reality and CBS Action change frequencies.
- Sky Digibox Default Transponder Frequency Settings
- UK Satellite Changes – True Movies moves to UK beam
- Sky Sports Mix frequency