World Cup matches on Filmons web and “affiliate” service are being geoblocked.
Users outside the UK trying to watch BBC and ITV coverage of World Cup matches are being presented with the following banner, saying the World Cup matches are unavailable due to restrictions imposed by FIFA.
In some cases the channel simply does not load.
Filmon say “Due to restrictions imposed by Fifa today, only people with a UK IP will be able to watch the World Cup. It was out of our control.”
It is thought, but not confirmed, that users of “XBMC” boxes, who can access these channels from other “non filmon” sources addons.
But it does beg the question, if FIFA can get their content geoblocked on Filmon, why can’t the actual broadcasters do so?
an email from filmon about the blocked coverage:
You should be getting ITV 1 right now, but it will be blocked during the transmission of World Cup matches. Unfortunately FIFA has requested for us to block all World Cup coverage on our UK channel streams. As a result we can only show World Cup coverage from UK channels to customers that have a UK IP address. While we’re aware that people may be going around the IP restrictions by obtaining a UK IP via VPN software such as Hotspot Shield or Expat Shield, this is beyond our control and we can’t encourage this or supply any help in setting it up.
Tomorrow (Thursday) and on Sunday, the German station ZDF will be streaming the matches and you should still be able to watch them on that channel if you don’t mind German commentary. This may change as well if FIFA requests it: www.FilmOn.com/channel/zdf
If you are receiving a “Subscription expired” or similar message while trying to watch ITV1 outside the UK, please note this is displayed in error and purchasing a subscription would not give you access to World Cup coverage. To rectify this error we would appreciate if you could forward a screen print of this issue so that we can reproduce and rectify.
Should you be having trouble viewing ITV1 right now, it will help us analyse your connection if you please perform the following three checks for us:
1. www.filmon.com/support/check – This tests your connection to FilmOn and gathers playback-relevant data about your client or browser. After this diagnostic check has finished, you will get a result link – shown above the results – which you can send back to us. If there is a problem with copypasting, the number at the end of the link will be enough.
2. www.speedtest.net – Here your overall connection is measured. Click “Begin Test” and – when it is done – “Share this result”, which allows you to copy the web result link and email it back to us.
3. It is also important for us to know if you experience performance problems on all channels or only on particular ones. Especially important regarding the UK channels is:
If you’re experiencing problems from “group A” (BBC1-4, ITV1-4, Channel 4 & 5)… are you at the same time noticing problems from “group B” (ITV1+ – ITV4+, Dave, More4, Really)?
FilmOn.com Support Team
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- BBC Three launch date announce
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- Paramount Network TV channel to name change to 5Action
- 4k Freesat Boxes get large update
- Australian Open Tennis 2022 – UK TV Coverage – European TV Coverage
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- Is Channel 4 HD returning to Freesat soon?
- BBC Top 20 over the festive period