In a blow to the BBC, the BBC Trust rejected the proposal to launch a new BBC1+1 channel in place of BBC3 because of its likely impact on commercial rivals including ITV and Channel 5.
The corporation had intended to replace the BBC3 TV channel with a one-hour time-shifted version of BBC1, a move that concerned commercial rivals, branding it a ratings-driven move.
The BBC Trust has rejected the proposal, saying it has limited public value and cites a range of issues including a lack of distinctiveness, and that almost a quarter of UK households would need to upgrade TV equipment to receive the channel.
Ofcom’s market impact assessment concluded that a BBC1+1 channel would have a negative impact on commercial rivals, “capturing viewing share for the BBC at the expense of commercial channels and reducing the profitability, in particular, of ITV and Channel 5”.
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- UK TV Problems in the UK in 2021
- Confirmed : More ITV channels changing frequencies
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- Satellite TV Solar Outage Time Again – October 2021
- Satellite TV Solar Outage Time Again – October 2020
- ITVBe – a new mainly female-oriented channel from ITV
- CBS Reality and CBS Action change frequencies.
- Intelsat 901 has taken over Intelsat 907 operations at 27.5 West