Sky starting to replace older Digiboxes boxes
As mentioned in a previous blog post ( HERE ) Sky mentioned in their Annual Report that they intent to move all their customers from SD and older HD digiboxes to newer digiboxes.
One reason for this is because the older digiboxes are no longer supports, and receive no firmware updates.
And these older digiboxes are used for cardsharing systems. Cardsharing is where you can “unlock” Sky Pay channels using a receiver connected to the internet and a cardshare server. Needless to say people using such systems said it was “scaremongering” and would not happen.
That said, Sky customers using older Sky Digiboxes have started to receive letters that state :
The current box you are using will no longer be able to receive Sky services from 31/12/16
And offering these customers a free upgrade to a newer Sky+HD digibox.
Here is the letter…
So it looks as if Sky do intent to move their customers from old boxes onto newer boxes, like they said.
And that Sky viewing cards that are used on these digiboxes for card sharing networks, may soon find the Sky channels are no longer available on such services, as the newer boxes have more security and encryption to try and prevent card sharing.
But I bet that does still not stop installers in Spain offering such service to clients, in full knowledge that what they are offering to their clients may not last for much longer.
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- ITV Changes 20th October…Some SD channels closing, more HD channels.
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- ITV1 – SD and HD swap for Sky and Freesat channel 103
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- ITV HD satellite changes
- Using a Sky HD box and recently lost signal for your ITV1 on channel 103?
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- Lost Sky News and Pick? They have changed frequencies!
- Freesat drops a load of music channels