We have worked really hard for more than a year to get a deal done for our customers with Discovery, so we are disappointed with their misleading claims and aggressive actions. We now feel it’s time to set the record straight. Because despite our differences, we love Discovery too.
We were prepared to pay a fair price for the Discovery and Eurosport channels and invest more in those channels to make them even better for our customers. We have offered hundreds of millions of pounds to Discovery, a $12bn American business, but that wasn’t enough. They asked the Sky Group to pay close to £1bn for their portfolio of channels, many of which are in decline.
Sadly, we have now had to prepare for Discovery to take their channels away from Sky customers, as they have threatened to do. It is Discovery’s choice to do this, not ours. We never left the negotiating table and they haven’t come back to it since they made their threats public this week.
Sky doesn’t boot channels off our platform. If Discovery don’t want their channels to disappear, as their public campaign suggests, they could have made arrangement to stay on Sky, including free to air with advertising funding or with their own subscription, but they’ve chosen not to do so.
Our commitment to our customers is this: We will spend every penny that we were going to pay to Discovery on more and better content that our customers value. This will come from sources around the globe and home grown shows and documentaries from the UK. We will continue to offer customers a huge range of content including hundreds of shows from The History Channel, National Geographic, PBS, Sky Arts and Sky Atlantic, along with more amazing sport on Sky Sports Mix, available to all our customers.
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- SkyEspaña set to close on 1st September
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- Is Virgin Media “cardsharing” about to end, and will it impact your IPTV?
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- Sky / Freesat channel changes – many channels moving satellites from Eutelsat to Astra
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- Freesat drops a load of music channels
- Viacom to close at least 6 UK satellite channels soon
- Confusion About Free UK Television in Spain – Freeview – Freesat – Free to air – Free to view
- Freesat Programme Guide problems