F1 2019 : Highlights and British Grand Prix to be on Channel 4
Channel 4 will broadcast the British Grand Prix live to UK television viewers in 2019.
Channel 4 will broadcast highlight of the other Formula 1 race weekends.
From 2019, Sky has exclusive rights to screen F1 races live in the UK. Previously Sky had shared rights with the BBC and Channel 4.
According to the Radio Times site; Channel 4 will retain its own Formula 1 presenting team, rather than use highlights from Sky Sports F1.
Interestingly the deal is for one year only, 2019.
As part of the new deal, the two broadcasters will share of some of their original drama programmes.
For example, as part of a new arrangement, the first series of Sky show Tin Star will be shown on Channel 4 later this year. This is unusual as until now Sky has chosen to show its own “Sky Original” productions on its free channel Pick a year or two later after its pay TV broadcast.
In return selected Channel 4 and Walter Presents drama series will be released on the Sky and Now TV platforms in one go, allowing customers to binge on all episodes. The first full box set, available from tomorrow, will be the third series of the award-winning Channel 4 drama, No Offence.
“I’m delighted that we’ve been able to establish such an exciting and innovative partnership with Sky which will ensure that the British Grand Prix and highlights of the 2019 Formula 1 Championship remain available on free-to-air television for UK viewers,” said Channel 4 CEO Alex Mahon.
Stephen van Rooyen, Sky UK and ROI CEO, added: “Today’s partnership is the start of a new era of collaboration between Sky, Channel 4 and, we hope, other British broadcasters.
“Not only will this innovative partnership benefit viewers, watching via Sky or free-to-air, but it will further strengthen the ecosystem of UK broadcasters and British originated content.”
C4 had to reach an agreement with Sky, which owns the entire rights to F1 in the UK for five years from next year. Its contract dictates a free-to-air provision, and Channel 4 has secured it.
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- BBC Red Button Streams for Summer 2021
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- BBC Olympic Channel Numbers announced for Sky and Freesat
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- BBC Red Button Olympic Frequencies
- UK TV and Streaming in Spain post Brexit
- ITV changes on the 13th April 2021
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- Freesat 4K Box software update June 2021
- Power Cuts? No Satellite Signal on your Sky HD box? Here is how to reset a Sky digibox with an alternative default transponder frequency setting.