Reports suggest that the Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior will close in September 2020 on both Sky and Virgin TV services, as carriage agreements stall, and renewal looks unlikely.
The content from these three channels will be moved to Disney+, the newly launched subscription streaming service.
“From 1 October, Disney+ will become the exclusive home for content from Disney Channel, DisneyXD and Disney Junior in the UK,” said Disney in a statement.
Industry experts say it is of no surprise that that Sky and Virgin had felt confident enough to walk away from the negotiations given the poor performance of the Disney branded channels compared to the other kids channels in the market. The Disney channels are currently the lowest watched children’s packages on UK TV. And Disney has already moved its channels to the Disney+ service in other TV markets
This move affects only the Disney children’s channels, and not Disney’s other TV brands, including Nat Geo and Fox
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Intelsat 901 has taken over Intelsat 907 operations at 27.5 West
- Channels available on Freesat TV
- Sky Arts to be available for free on Freeview and Freesat and Sky boxes soon.
- “Smart IPTV” App removed from Samsung Tvs.
- BBC iPlayer not heading for Subscription Fees – but going encrypted
- World Snooker Championship 2014: BBC coverage
- BBC One has unveiled details of its Christmas and New Year schedule