Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky On Demand (Formerly Anytime+) - Help, please

Satellite dish being used
    If you input your Satellite Dish Size and Edit this field in your user profile (settings edit profile), and it makes it easier for others to know what equipment you are using.
    Thanks

Question Sky On Demand (Formerly Anytime+) - Help, please

I know I am not living in the regions usually covered by the forum but I think my question is of general application and, hopefully, someone can help me.

I brought my SkyHD box when we moved to Spain a couple of months ago. I have it connected to my broadband router supplied by Movistar/Telefonica. I cannot get it to download anything on Sky On Demand, presumably because it sees I am connected to a Spanish ISP. I do use a service to hide my IP address on my computer but, of course, this does not help with my Sky box. I know there are services which allow you to select a different country IP in a DD-WRT router but I am reluctant to go this way, mostly because they look complicated to set up and, when I once tried to use a different router for better reception, I had major problems.

Are there other reliable services that will provide details to be inserted in the Sky connection setup menu that will make it believe it is in the UK? It doesn't have to be a free service if it is a reliable one.

Any suggestions would be very welcome, please?

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks
    Hi and welcome.
    Yes the Sky Anytime / On Demand will be "geo blocked" and will try to stop anyone from outside the UK And ROI from accessing thsoe services.

The only way I have found so far, it to have a PC running expatshiled with TWO ethernet connections.
    One ethernet connections goes to your router, as normal.
    The second goes to your Sky+HD box.
    Then the two ethernet conenctions are to be "bridged" using the options in Windows.
    As the PC running Expatshield is in the middle, then the SKy box looks as if it is connecitng via a UK IP address, and thus can cownload Sky On Demand, and use of the Iplayers also.

There is nothing you can add to your router or Sky bxo to do this, so you do need the "intervention" of a PC to do the UK IP addressing for you.

At least it did the lastt time i tried a few weeks ago!
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

If you input your Satellite Dish Size and Edit this field in your user profile (settings edit profile), and it makes it easier for others to know what equipment you are using.
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I use a larger laptop as my desktop machine so I don't have two ethernet connections. I suppose i could get a usb ethernet adapter but I don't know if that would work. Is there no other way perhaps with one of those fake proxy servers?

Thanks

Norm

Thanks
    I dont think you can input details of "those fake proxy servers" into routers...so no you cannot use that.

Also, it may be possible to overcome the "two ethernet" cable route with a crossover ethernet cable...but I have not tried this yet...so dont know if it works or not.
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain

Thanks
    Hi, I am very interested in getting the Sky "on demand" to work here in Spain, so I can take advantage of the new Sky/BBC iplayer service through my Sky box, instead of through my laptop pc. I already subscribe to a VPN service so my ip is not be a problem.

Could you be more specific with your details of the "twin ethernet" cable setup....what is this exactly? Does the PC need to have 2 ethernet ports, or is there some special cable that plugs into my Sky box and PC simultaniously connecting them both to my router? Sorry if this is a stupid question. My laptop pc only has 1 ethernet port so can't add one. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Having tested the twin ethernet on a PC running expat shield, i can say this does not work - the tests were run when there was no IP address blocking on the Skyplayer!!!
    Runing the VPN on the actual PC does not work, as it is only the PC and not the router / modem that is "hidden".

The only way to get around this is to enter the VPN settings directly into the router / modem, and not into the PC. Although not all routers allow this...
    Last edited by satandpcguy; 3rd November 2012 at 11:51 AM.
    The Sat and PC Guy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satandpcguy For This Useful Post:

jazzzhead (2nd November 2012)

2.4m
    Sky HD PACE box model TDS850N
    Thanks
    Hi Jon

Gareth from Orba here. I too just got the On Demand service and was excited about using this. Have enabled the service, connected my router to my Sky HD box by ethernet and enabled the service (also got the new EPG update last night). However, have also found same problems as reported on initial post in this thread. Interestingly, SOME recordings from the On Demand service have worked for me (e.g the new Parkinson series) but most do the instant "Failed" routine. On looking at more info for the failed recordings they also include error message "HTTP_403_FORBIDDEN", so I guess that relates to the geo-blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by satandpcguy View Post
    Having tested the twin ethernet on a PC running expat shield, i can say this does not work - the tests were run when there was no IP address blocking on the Skyplayer!!!
    Runing the VPN on the actual PC does not work, as it is only the PC and not the router / modem that is "hidden".

The only way to get around this is to enter the VPN settings directly into the router / modem, and not into the PC. Although not all routers allow this...
    I'd love to find a way to get around this, so can you give a bit more guidance (or point me to a guide) that explains the process in detail of entering the appropriate VPN settings directly into my router.

Incidentally, in case its relevant (e.g. in case it tells you I wont be able to do this!) my current router is a "Movistar Home Station ADSL Router" i.e. the new white dual-antenna model that Movistar/Telephonica have been supplying of late. I've found that the actual manufacturer/model of these is a PDG A4001N. I have downloaded the manufacturer's user manual from the Movistar site (via http://www.movistar.es/rpmm/estatico...pdg-a4001n.pdf ) and on searching that manual for any references to 'VPN' it only mentions that within the Specifications section, under "Routing/Bridging" where it lists "VPN pass-through" as a feature.

Cheers

Thanks
    You cannot connect a Sky+HD box directly to the router in Spain to use the on demand services. As you say, most recordings will be geoblocked by your Spanish IP address.
    Athough some do work.

You need to subscribe to a VPN service with a UK IP address to "trick" the box into thinking it is in the UK.

You will also need an appropriate router connected to your current modem / router to input those VPN details in.
    I doubt the movistar modems / routers are sophisticated enough to do this.
    Decent VPNs will have a list of compatiable routers and have detailled set up instructions as to how to configure your router.

I do offer a service to provide the equipmment, and help you set it all up, with a very good and reasonably priced VPN service.
    http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/bbc_...anca_spain.php
    Last edited by satandpcguy; 15th November 2012 at 10:08 AM.
    The Sat and PC Guy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to satandpcguy For This Useful Post:

guitareth (15th November 2012)

2.4m
    Sky HD PACE box model TDS850N
    Thanks
    Thanks. Had a look at the link. I'll give your offer some thought, although I think I'll have to put it off for a while as I'm already paying a fortune for my Sky subscription and have some other unexpected big bills just now! Thanks again for now.

Thanks
    Hi Guitareth,

I have found a service that works perfectly with your Sky+HD box in Spain. Checkout the link below, they will even give you a free 7 day trial so you can de sure it will work for you. Setup takes 5 minutes with no software to install or equipment to buy, and you can be watching the Sky catchup service literally within 5 minutes of following the link to their site. They also have 24/7 online "chat" support and are very helpfull.
    I hope this helps.

http://www.overplay.net

Thread Information