Thread: Lost Channels

Thanks

Lost Channels

Hello all, and thanks for providing such an informative forum.

I have been using my Sky system here without any major problems for about 5 years.
    Today I find that I cannot recieve any of the BBC1 or ITV channels, along with a few others that have gone missing (Hallmark 150, etc.)
    I have unplugged my PACE box and reset the transponder to the usual 12129, but still get the 'No Signal Is Being Recieved' message.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

I still have all the Sports, Music and Film channels, but for some reason just a few of trhe Entertainment ones have gone.

There have been odd occasions in the past where a channel might have gone down due to the weather, but this situation has lasted all day......and it's been a nice day!

Thanks in advance.

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

Re: Lost Channels

Hello,

Thanks for the comments regarding the site and forum...glad you find it useful.

You are lucky as i have just got in from work today!!

Firsly, changing the default transponder does ont make channels reappear.
    As mentioned on the main site, changing the default transponder frequency only helps the digibox boot up when the main default transponder, 11778, is at its weakest (around 4 to 6pm) or unavailable (depends on your location and dish size!)

Hallmark (and around 30 other channels like Eurosport2, some sky movie channels) is also on a similar frequency that may be unavailable during the afternoon.

And if you cannot get BBC or ITVs then this more than likely down to movement of the dish, or something obscuring the signal (trees, wasp / spiders inside the LNB), the latter you can check yourself...being very careful not to disturb or move the LNB.

Hope this helps...

PS : If you are in my area and my very very full diary allows me, I can always pop around for a service call!
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Just a thought......before I risk life and limb by trying to get onto my roof to check for spiders.

I am probably wrong, but I would have thought that if the dish was out of alignment then the weakest channels would be the first to go.
    From memory, when the dish was first installed the weakest channel was one of the film ones (301 I think), and the engineer had to adjust the LNB. When we could recieve this channel all the others were OK too.

I presently have 301 and the BBC and ITV channels (984 and 103) have always been stable in the past.

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

the weakest channels are on the astra 2d satellite - horizontal beam....channels like BBC2,3,4 Film4, disney- which will not be available all day.
    then the next weakest are the BBC1 and ITV1 channels (apart from 6 itv regions that are on another satellite completely).

But there are also 30 or so channels on astra 2a and b north beams, that are also at their weakest during the afternoon, including hallmark and some (not all) sky movies channels. these north beam channels are the ones that need careful alignment of the LNB. the bbcs etc on astra 2d are not so "LNB skew" senstive (although it is important!)

So if you have not got BBC ITV or Hallmark, and you had these before, then you have lost the weakest channels so maybe your dish has moved (or somehting is obsucing the dish!).

From memory, when the dish was first installed the weakest channel was one of the film ones (301 I think), and the engineer had to adjust the LNB.
    in otherwords he did not do it correctly in the first place!!

hope this helps.
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks

Thanks again for your help.

Now here's a funny thing. We got in from the bar last night and all the channels are now working perfectly. I switched on the telly first thing this morning and all is well.
    Maybe the spiders have wandered off? We will see.

At least the wife can now watch that Welsh guy Tim Murray playing tennis.

C'mon Tim!!!!

Thread Information