Thread: Sky+ HD Single feed mode recording problems - Help!

Satellite dish being used
    2.4m
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky HD PACE box model TDS850N
    Thanks

Sky+ HD Single feed mode recording problems - Help!

I'd already posted following on a couple of other forums, so apologies if you've already seen this Sat & PC guy, but only now found the link to your own very helpful website and forums. Anyway.....

I've got a Sky+ HD box - a Pace TDS850NB which I took over from UK to Spain where I am now living permanently. I'm currently renting a place where I can only get one cable feed from the owner's 2.4m satellite dish. I appreciate I can now only record one programme at a time, but have had horrendous problems to even achieve that!

The main problem is that with a single feed when there's a planned recording in my planner, the box will no longer automatically switch channels to record that programme. I find I have to make sure the box is set to the correct channel in advance of the recording or it fails. However, even then I am repeatedly getting failed recordings for no obvious reason. I can be set on the correct channel but when the recording time comes up - even though the planned recording is clearly shown in my planner - it sometimes just fails to go into record mode.

Now a search made me aware that with the new Sky HD boxes you can specifically set the box to single feed mode - which I've done via the installer's menu - but I still suffer exact same problems as above. I've tried multiple reboots, and also system rebuild - all to no avail. My single feed from the Sat dish is into the I/P 1 socket. Before I switched the box to single feed mode I had tried both sockets but it made no difference, and since switching the box to single feed mode I now find if I try the dish input cable into I/P socket 2 I get no signal at all, so presumably I/P socket 2 is now totally disabled in single feed mode?

The thing that has confused me further is that for one particular programme I previously had in my planner for series recording (Five USA - 174 -The Mentallist) it always successfully recorded that program no matter what channel the box was switched to for viewing. So it appeared for that one it would record the correct channel even if the box was set to view a different one. However, for any other channels the box has to be set to the correct channel in advance in order to record successfully.

Can anyone advise if there's a workaround/fix that will allow me to not have to ensure the box is set to correct channel for forthcoming recordings to work?

And also, what about it sometimes failing to record a channel even when I'm viewing that channel? I've tried toggling off and on the record setting for the programme while watching it, but even then the box sometimes will not going into record mode at all until I reboot it. Any ideas?

For your info I'm using the very latest version of the viewing card which I received in April 09 before I left the UK, and here's other details of box:

Manufacturer: Pace TDS850NB
    Model no: 2.2.222
    Version No: 9F3004
    O/S Version: 1.32B12
    EPG Version: sky+8.4.0.Multiplatform.v3.0.0

Cheers

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

Re: Sky+ HD Single feed mode recording problems - Help!

Hi and welcome

but only now found the link to your own very helpful website and forums.
    Flattery gets you somethings, but I would prefer cash or beer!

Anways, in case you have not seen it I posted this answer to your post an another forum:

a work around....
    if you want to record something on bbc1 from 10am to 1030am, then set up a manual record for anyother channel starting at 959am until 1005am.

then the first planned recording will take up the "input 2" cable, which will not be connected, and you will record "no signal", but your actual record will be done using "input 1".

or if you are recording ANY BBC1 programme, just record the same programme on another of the available regions...so you make 2 recording of the same programme from two different regoins...it can sometimes be done for ITV using 103 and 993 - if 993 is available for you - it is sometimes ITV1 London, but depends on your 103 region.

presumably I/P socket 2 is now totally disabled in single feed mode?
    Yes, in single cable mode input 2 is disabled.

the new HD EPG does act in weird ways, and it does not function exactly as the old HD / Sky+ Epg, and I sometime struggle with the signle feed option not always working when i test it out, but hopefully the above workaround works for you as it has done for me in testing.

generally, input 1 is for the channels you are watching, and input 2 is used for any planner recordings. but if you decide to record the channel you are watching then, should you change channels, the channel you are watching will start toi use input 2...(follow that???)
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

2.4m
    Sky HD PACE box model TDS850N
    Thanks

Thanks, appreciate the suggested solution, BUT....... I have to say that while I'm sure that would work it's an incredibly awkward and time-consuming workaround which really negates all of the ease of programming that you gain from having Sky's EPG. Sounds worse than going back to managing VCR recordings! And as I have many recordings set in the planner as Series Linked, it would be a nightmare trying to remember to set this every week - or I'd have to set the manual recordings to also be "Daily" or "Weekly" and that would only work if the programme was always on at exact same time every day/week.

Actually, on another forum I posted this to someone replied as follows:

Single feed mode was discussed a lot when it was first introduced.

It appears that in order to make a scheduled recording from the planner, the box must be in STANDBY. It will then select the correct channel and record it.

If the box is ON, then it assumes you are wanting to watch whatever channel it's on, and therefore won't switch channel to make the recording.

Depending on your point of view this is either a "bug" or a "feature"
    Now I did leave my box ON all the time (I disabled the auto-standby feature as I had a hard drive failure on a previous box and someone suggested then that having the box go repeatedly into standby increases the chances of that). So I have now carried out some tests with setting up recordings in the planner while the box is viewing a different channel, but putting the box into STANDBY. It works every time :P

So it seems clear to me that the simplest solution is to ALWAYS ENSURE THE BOX IS ON STANDBY WHENEVER ANY PLANNER RECORDINGS ARE COMING UP, and then I don't need to worry about changing channels in advance

If the box is ON, then it assumes you are wanting to watch whatever channel it's on, and therefore won't switch channel to make the recording.

Depending on your point of view this is either a "bug" or a "feature"
    I'd say that's definitely a bug, or at least a design flaw. After all, when I did have 2 inputs into the box, if I was viewing one channel, and two other recordings in the planner were about to start for two further channels, it would flash up a warning message and offer me to choose which one of the 3 to cancel. If you weren't there to make a choice, or just ignored it, the box automatically dropped out of the channel you were viewing. Seems to me that in single input mode it should be able to do same when a second channel comes up for recording. I can only assume this was overlooked by the software designers as so few people will actually be using their Sky boxes in single input mode

Meanwhile, it's still however a complete mystery to me why for channel 174 it would ALWAYS happily record the programme as set in the planner, regardless of the channel my box was currently set to for viewing? I can assure you I never once lost a planned recording of The Mentalist regardless of what channel my box was currently "viewing" and box was always fully on (not in Standby) on those occasions. Doesn't make any sense to me at all

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

Hi

Thats a great find and a much better workaround than mine!!!!!

I'll have to have a look at that and have a play around with the standby mode
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thread Information