Thread: Freesat cant get a signal

Thanks

Unhappy Freesat cant get a signal

Hi there,

We have a community 1.8m dish and live in the Torreveija area of the Costa Blanca my freind has just bought me over a Bush BFSAT01HD freesat box i know the signal is at about 50% but then it asks me for a post code then it goes to full scan process but it just stays on that and i cant access any of the menu settings on the box can any one help please..........

Regards Buddah.

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

Re: Freesat cant get a signal

Hi and welcome.

First thing is are you sure you are connected to your communities big dish?

When the dish was installed ideally a seperate cable should have been run from the big dishes distribution point into your house. If this was not done then you will more than likely not actually be connected to the comminity big dish, and so your receiver is trying to look for a signal that is not actually there!

50% signal seems a bit low for me.......especailly as the main EPG it should be looking for on that screen is a nice and strong signal.

When you do the installation what numbers apper on the Netword ID and Trasnponder ID?....this will determine if you are hooked up to the correct satellite....i think they should be 003b and 090b respectivly.

What postcode are you putting in....a UK one I hope (I use a Jersey postcode, as this defaults bbc 1 and ITV1 to the strongest bbc1 and itv1 signals!) and not your Spanish one.

Have you tried another receiver on your setup to ensure another receiver works OK?

Hope this helps
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks

Hi sat guy,

i dont get no codes in these 2 boxes and have tried a uk postcode and a jersy code like you said. i have tried the ariel in the torre sat box i have and when i search for free channels it picks up alot of channels via the astra 2 by the way the guys did not pull a new cable into the house they just used an existing one thats in my comunication box could the freesat box be damaged.

Thanx Buddah

Thanks

if you are not getting the transponder codes on the screen then you are not receiving any signal from the UK Satellites via the communities big dish!

until you get those transponder codes showing on the screen before you input your postcode the box cannot get a good signal to load up the EPG data it requires to function or scan for channels....there is literally no satellite signal for the box to use.

so all the connections from the community system to your tv point will have top be checked to see if you are getting signals from the dish - assuming it was done in the first place!

Of course if you plug in a torresat box into a system with torresat signals in you will receive UK TV channels....they are coming from the torresat transmitters, not the big dish

Using the existing cable is the cheap and lazy way of doing the system. they should have put a new cable for exclusive use for the UK big dish, ensuring you are getting the best possible signal. (why did they not run a new cable to the TV point if they had already run a cable to your coms box!??). mixing this UK big dish signal into another cable which will already have spanish and torresat signals in there will reduce the quality of the signal.

The only way to see if the box is damaged or not is to try it out on a satellite dish system that you know works with a sky or freesat box.
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain

Thanks

Thanx Sat Guy,

Once again you given me a bit more knowledge i shall try my box on a freinds system to see if it is the box.

Many thanx Buddah. P.S if u ever need any air con advise please get in touch.

Thanks

I personally suspect the box is fine....and that it is the cowboy manner of how your cabling and connection have been done that is meaning you are not getting a good enough signal through to your box.
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thanks

Hi Sat Guy,

Today i connected to a freinds dish which he shares with a neighbour and we got a 90% signal tuned the box in and it was fine with most channels then disconnected took it hme and re connected to my community dish again and nothing but the box did keep its install setup so you can scroll the the channels ect but still no signal.

Think its time to call the company back can you advise me on what they might need to do ie.maybe boosters on the line i dont know.

Thanx again.

Thanks

Great nbews...at least we know it is not the box at fault.

Inline boosters can only boost signals if they get a decent enough signal in the first place. Theya re not really a good idea to use as they al;so boost all the noise in the cable also, and can lose some of the weaker channels!

If you are unable to even get BBC News then I dont even think your cable is connected to the community distribution points...or at last not connected properly. BBC News is one of the strongest signal chanels so if you dont even get that then there is a serious issue with your cabling....

If you do cll them back make sure their work is covered by gaurentee, as they should have checked out that it was all working in the first place before they left...dont get conned into forking ou money for something they should have done in the first place...
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thanks

Hi Sat Guy,

Just spoke to the Guy that installed our community dish and told him my new HD Freesat box is not picking up any signal
    and he told me that they are having problems with the multi switches and the have been sent back to germany and now waiting on this then i said it works on dish that is just used for one house and then he said it could be the boxes frequency could be different but why does it work on my freins dish any suggetions would be helpfull.

Kind regards,

Buddah.

Thanks

It sounds like the cabling system at the community is not correct, and that is why your box works fine at your freinds and not at your place.

It has nothing to do with "the boxes frequency could be different" - thats just crap.

And why do they not have spares, or get a spare swicth unit for you asap instead of waiting for it to go to Germany - does he not have a supplier closer?
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thread Information