Thread: Input to LCD TV ?

Thanks

Input to LCD TV ?

Here's the background. Moved into house four years ago and inherited the following setup:-
    80cm offset dish on a pole on the roof with a motley collection of other antennae attached. Not very stable in windy conditions. LNB attached to about 15 metres of perished coax laid loose acroos the flat roof, over the edge, down and through the wall. Other end of coax feeding a non SKY digibox (probably purchased as a package with the dish from Lidl). Output of digibox feeding an analogue (CRT) TV.
    Fine during ideal conditions but easily upset by wind and/or rain.
    Modification 1. Removed scabby collection of other antennae from pole. Removed dish, sawed about 4ft off the pole and remounted the dish to reduce whipping effect in wind. New LNB (but not coax) and realigned by a local "Pro" with an oscilloscope/receiver (I'd never seen a scope with a TV programme on it . Result:- Big improvement in wind vulnerability but not from rain (which was of course no surprise).
    Modification 2. Replaced 80cm dish with a 1m, another new LNB and mounted on the south wall in the lee of the prevailing wind. New cable now only about 5m long as new dish position nearer the TV socket. Aligned new dish. Now almost perfect except in extreme atmospheric (wet) conditions.
    Now here's the dumb question. I've just bought a Sony KDL-P3600 (for a good price at Eroski). My first digital set so clueless. I'd assumed that my exisiting digibox could be connected up as previously and that at least we'd be able to watch new programming in widescreen and without the black bars top and bottom. I'd also assumed that in order to view the Freesat HD broadcasts I would need to upgrade my digibox to one with HD decoding capabilities. Someone who already has an LCD set with a SKY digibox said that if I plug the coax from the dish straight into the antenna input I should get the signals I need. Is he right ? I didn't think the sets had a built in satellite decoder and that the signal coming out of the LNB would be analogue and that out of the decoder would be digital. I know it has a built in TDT decoder for which I'll need an additional antenna. While we're in question mode, is there somewhere I can find out where and in what direction my nearest (or receivable) TDT transmitter is ?
    Sorry it's a long post.
    Regards,
    Bigyin

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

Re: Input to LCD TV ?

I'd assumed that my exisiting digibox could be connected up as previously and that at least we'd be able to watch new programming in widescreen and without the black bars top and bottom.
    you will need to ensure that your digibox is configured for widescreen (also 16:9). it will be somewhere in your set up menu.

also you will have to ensure your TV is set to Wide or 16:9 or WIDE so that it can switch to the relevant aspect.

Also not all channels are available in full widescreen, and sometimes, as there are various ratios for widescreen, even with the setting correct you can still get black horizontal bars at the top and bottom.

Generally 16:9 settings on a tv show films made in aspect ration 1:85:1.
    But osme films are also made in 2:35.1, and so sometimes black bars are still visiable.

see
    http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/widescr ... vision.php

I'd also assumed that in order to view the Freesat HD broadcasts I would need to upgrade my digibox to one with HD decoding capabilities. Someone who already has an LCD set with a SKY digibox said that if I plug the coax from the dish straight into the antenna input I should get the signals I need. Is he right ? I didn't think the sets had a built in satellite decoder and that the signal coming out of the LNB would be analogue and that out of the decoder would be digital
    To receive the Freesat HD broadacsts you will need a Freesat HD receiver.
    To receive the HD channels available on Freesat you will require either a Freesat HD receiver or a generic HD receiver.

A Freesat receiver will allow access to the Freesat software, and 7 day EPG (programme guide). Generics will not have access to the 7 day EPG, or automatically update when channel settings / frequencies are changed.

As long as your dish is set for the UK TV satellites then all you need to do is swap the cable from one receiver to the other.

LNBs can receive either analogue or digital singals.

. I know it has a built in TDT decoder for which I'll need an additional antenna. While we're in question mode, is there somewhere I can find out where and in what direction my nearest (or receivable) TDT transmitter is ?
    try tdt.es (input your postcode to see what channels and which transmitter is in your area) or tdt1.com.
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
    Aspect Ratio:-
    So with my existing digibox, if I set it to 16:9 and also the new TV, I should not see the top and bottom black bars on modern programs. I presume that with old programmes and films shot in 4:3, I'll see black bars at the sides instead. ? (I'm not bothered, just checking that I'm understanding how it works).
    Freesat HD:-
    Is there much difference in price between a Freesat branded HD receiver and a generic HD receiver?
    Are the Freesat branded ones available in Spain?
    Do the generic ones have the current day EPG?
    Is the EPG info available on Astra 2D ?
    TDT:-
    Noted, thanks.
    Here endeth the Spansish inquisition (for now
    Cheers and thanks again,
    Bigyin

Thanks

I should not see the top and bottom black bars on modern programs.
    not if transmitted in wide screen
    but again, maybe on some movies if they are transmitted in the "other" format (spanish tv chanenls ar notorious for transmitting in full "letterbox" (black bars) mode.

Is there much difference in price between a Freesat branded HD receiver and a generic HD receiver?
    You pay extra for the Fresat receiver as this has access to the Freesat software and extra goodie this software grants access to.

Are the Freesat branded ones available in Spain?
    Yes. I have a few here always

Do the generic ones have the current day EPG?
    Normally just "now and Next" data

Is the EPG info available on Astra 2D ?
    Fressat EPG data is tranmitted from Eurobird, the same constellation as Astra 2d is in. Althoug many of the UK TV channels are tranmitted from Astra 2d, the EPG dtaa os from another satellite (there are 4 in the UK TV constellation - Astra 2a, Astra 2b, Astra 2d and Eurobird)

Here endeth the Spansish inquisition (for now
    famous last two words.....!
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain

Thanks

Hi again,
    Can you tell me what Freesat HD receivers you can supply with prices please.
    Thanks,
    Roger

Thanks

I tend not to do the basic Freesat receivers.
    The Humax HD is approx 225euros
    The Humax HD+ (with hard disk drive) is approx 425euros.

(not I do not do shipping / mail order)

Bear in mind that if you have alreday got a satellite receiver then you wil only gain BBC HD (not a full version of BBC1, but "the best programmes of the BBC in HD), and ITVs HD service (a film, a bit of football, and one or two other programmes a week - there has been no indication if / when ITV1 will become a full copy of ITV1).

There is no C4 HD on Freesat, and there has been nothing yet from Five about their HD services.
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thread Information