Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New viewing card.....not working??

Thanks

New viewing card.....not working??

Hello, I have just received my new viewing card from Sky and have had it activated, but I seem to have ´lost´channels 174, 175, 176, and 177 which are all the extra Five channels. They have disapeared from the All Channels list. If I put my old card in they reappear but I am unable to receive them. Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

Re: New viewing card.....not working??

Hi and welcome.

Its all down to the fact that your new card has not loaded up the EPG setting for your new card.

A sky box loads up the EPG setting, and regional versions of 101, 102, 103, 104 and 105, when a new sky card is introduced. These regionalisation of BBC and ITV etc are all determined by the postcode that a Sky card is registered to. And if your old card and new card have different regions, then you must wait for the sky box to load up the new settings.

There are two ways to do this:
    Wait - and the box will update it self automatically within a few minutes (or at least it should)

or turn the sky box off at the power, remove any card, boot up the sky box again (without any card), make sure you are getting channels, go to Sky 1, 106, see the insert card messag, insert your new card, wait for the "upgrade message", wait a few minutes as the EPG updates (you wil notice pressing button to change channels will not work as this process is happening, and all you get are "channels unavailable" messages, and your channels should be there..

So its all down to the fact that the EPG has not updated to the new regions for your new card.

Hope this helps.
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks

Hi, many thanks for your reply. After reading your info. the problem maybe that the card is registered to a UK postcode and we are in Spain. My other card worked on the same basis and I could receive the ´missing´channels. Is there anyway round this problem?

Thanks

Sky cards can ONLY be registered to UK address.

If the card is registered in Manchester, then, using the Manchester postcode, your 101 will be BBC North West, and ITV will be ITV1 Granada.
    If the card is registered in London, then, using the London postcode, your 101 will be BBC London, and ITV will be ITV1 London.

Changing cards that are registered in different regions will mean that the box has to load up the new 101 BBC1 and 103 ITV1 regional variations onto the EPG. Which is what your new card, for whatever reason, has not done. It can take a few minutes after introducing the new card, for the box to do this.

Again, the problem is that your card has not yet updated the EPG listings. Nothing to do with the fact that you are using the card in Spain.

Do as I said, reboot the box without the card, then insert the card, and the EPG should update and include those channel on the EPG channel numbers.

Alternativly, are you sure the card has been activated? When you go to 106 what is the message on the screen? If it is an "upgrade" message then your card is active. If it is a "not authorised" message your card has not been activated.
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain

Thanks

Hello (again!) I have rebooted the box without card etc. The only message that came up on channel 106 was, after placing card in, ´ínitiallising card´and after that nothing, just the information for upgrading to the Sky channel 106. Still the channel are missing from the All Channels section.

Thanks

So if you are getting the Upgrade message then at least we know the card has been activated.

Now reboot the box WITH the new card still in.

As thebox knows there is a sky card in, it should load up all the relevant channels.
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thanks

No, still unable to find the channels.

Thanks

Well in that case I am stumped...as your EPG should update the EPG listings as per the regions / postcode on the card, when it detects a new card.

Just wondering have the BBC1 and ITV1 on 101 and 103 changed to reflect the postcode of where your card is registered?

The EPG may update by its self in a few hours...normally it is pretty much instant, but no idea as to why it is not doing so at the moment.

You can try and add the Fives manually to your other channels list - services, 4, 4, 12422 h 27.5 2/3 yellow button on channels you want to select, select - access them via your servivces, other channels list (if your box asks for a PIN try the last 4 digits of your sky card!)
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thanks

I will try that and see what happens. By the way, I can get channels 101, 103 etc. But I would like to say many thanks for your help and patience!! Sally

Thanks

YOu dont actually need a card to watch any of the BBC channels, or most of the ITV1 channels, they are free to air and can be viewed without a sky card. you have not needed a sky card for the bbc channels for some 6 or so years now!

all a sky card does for the BBC channels is determine which BBC region you have alloacted to 101 and 102.
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thread Information