Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks

"This is the wrong card for this set top box"

Here is a question I have been asked many times:

I have the new white sky card but getting message

This is the wrong card for this set top box
    Insert the correct viewing card
    Call your broadcaster for assistance

The new white cards show the "this is the wrong card" message for two reasons:

One : you are trying to watch Sky Sports or Sky Movies on a Sky digibox that the card is not paired to.

Two: your card has gone to sleep

This happens when the Sky card has not had a signal from the satellite for a few weeks.
    The old blue Sky cards would go to sleep some 2 or 3 months after not getting a signal, and these would show the "please upgrade" message.
    It appears that the new white Sky cards look to "go to sleep" earlier then the old cards, and show the "wrong card" message instead.

Leave the Sky box turned on (turn off Autostandby - Services screen) and leave on Sky news when you are not watching other channels, for up to 72 hours and your channels should return back - they normally do within 12 hours, and maybe even quicker. This has also woken up many cards in receivers that they were not actually actived in!

I understand they have to be woken up in actual Sky boxes, so you may struggle if you have a non-Sky box like Darkbox.

In some cases, with the old blue Sky cards, after having no signal for a considerable amount of time, the cards actually "died" and and were unable to be reactivated. You would then need a replacement SKy card. I have not tried this yet with the new white Sky cards.
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Thanks

Re: "This is the wrong card for this set top box"

An update to this story.

According to reports, freesatfromsky card that have "gone to sleep" can only be reactiavted in the sky box that they were activated in.

So make sure you always have power to your sky box if you go away for a few weeks, or take your card with you and pop it in a friends Sky box over night every week, or get a neighbour to take the card and pop into their sky box over night every week....just to keep it ticking over...
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain

Thanks
    Hi

In June this year (2010) I visited my house in GA and turned on my Sky box, the signal and free sat programs works OK for the first two days, but on the third morming I got the dreaded "This is the wrong card for this set top box" signal. Nothing over the next days returned the signal. In the end I took the box and card back to UK, connected them in at my UK house and rang Sky, they reset my card and it was working again within seconds.
    So the new white cards have some some time out if not connected to a live sky box for long periods, perhaps every one should be aware of this, if like us we only visit our house 5 or 6 times each year.

Terence

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Thanks
    This is what I mean by the cards going to sleep. They need a constant signal fromt he satellites to keep the cards alive. If the card do not get a signal from the satellite for a period (of about 4 or 5 weeks) the cards go to sleep. If they are in a box that gets a signal then the cards reawke after a period of about 72 hours...or a call to sky ot turn the card back on.

This was the same witht he old blue cards, that went to sleep if they got not signal from the satellites for a period of 6 weeks, so its nothing new ot the white cards, just the period of signals has been reduced from 6 weeks no siganl to about 4 weeks...
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thread Information