Thread: New Sky box problem !

Thanks

New Sky box problem !

I would be really grateful for any help or advice you can offer me as I really don't know what to do next !! This is a long saga and I'll try to keep it short so as not to bore you to tears!

I had never had any problem with my Sky installation until Sky withdrew blue cards and issued new white ones. My installer said he could me get me a new white card but I would have to pay a nameless middle man 100 euros a year for the priviledge. This principled oap wasn't playing and couldn't afford it anyway !

So...............I have been back to the UK, bought a brand new (not reconditioned) Sky box from an independent retailer and then purchased a new Freesat from Sky card on-line, registered my new box with Sky at a UK address and had the card paired to the box and activated, all straightforward and no problem.

I've now brought it back to Fuerte and all I get is "No satellite signal being received, please unplug your box from the mains, plug it back in, wait 5 minutes and try again".

I have done this over and over............no joy!
    I have done a forced software download...........no joy!
    I have changed the default transponder as per Sat and PC Guy's invaluable instructions many times to all manner of different numbers..........no joy!
    I have carried on with changing the default transponder operation to continue to the new installation bit ..............no joy !!
    I just cannot get any signal at all from anywhere to help the box boot up!
    I've had hubby up on the roof and he's changed the cable for brand new, thinking maybe six years of constant roof heat may have caused it to deteriorate ......no joy!
    I've had hubby up on the roof twiddling very very slowly with the LNB, no sign of any signal at all ............no joy !

I've run out of options here. There are only two things left that I can think of .......... one is whether I need a new LNB and if so which one to get, there are so many and I'd have no idea on how to fit it properly for best receiving of signal ............or whether I have messed up by getting a Freesat from Sky card, whether it's only paying package cards that work over here and whether there is actually any difference in the actual cards or just the signal that you get, I've no idea

What do you think ?

Any help, advice or information you can offer would be very, very much appreciated as I really am stuck now. I should add that I have no wish to go to a local installer having already had my fingers burned once !!

I do hope you can help me

Audrey

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks
    Ok.
    So you are getting no signal on your new box. (not too sure why you had to buy a new box when you already had one - surely just buying a new card ould have done...?)

Are you able to try another box on your system or try your box on someone else system? (what about trying your old sky box on the system to see if that still works?) At least this will either eliminat a problems with your box, or confirm an issue with your system.

A manual software download will not happen if you are not getting a signal. It should not really be done anyway, as the sky box will automatically update iself when ever it needs to. And its a bad idea to do it if you know you are getting no signal!

The New installation option is only required to activate a sky card using a UK phone line - so that will not help.

Everytime you change the Default frequency and it does not work, dont input another frequency straight away, you MUST power down and reboot the sky box - as the box may hang and gets confused if you are constantly changing frequencies.

If you have tried this a number of times and still not getting the date and time onthe screen or no sky news then you have a problem with your LNB or cableing or cable connecitons, or maybe your dish has moved whilst you have been away??? The dish only meeds to move a few mms out of alignment and no signal will be received.

What about the LNB settings in the installer menu - change / ensure that these are on the default values.

A sky box will get channels with or without a sky card. BBC News Sky News are free to air and do not require a sky card. You should get these at least if your system is working.

Which LNB to get depends on the type and size of dish you have - different dishes require differnt types of LNB. And getting it to the correct skew / angle, if you dont have a professional meter is tricky and time consuming.

Card agents ask for a yearly fee if you cannot supply them with a uk address for your card, so you pay to "borrow" one of their addresses. You should not need to do this if all you are wanting is a freesatfromsky card, just for sky subscription cards.

Personally it sounds like not a box problem, but more a dish / lnb / cabing problem and no amount of doing things with the settings on the box will help!

You may have to get an installer out to see your system to diagnose the problem and correct it...especialy if you dont have a signal meter (forget the one on the sky boxes they are useless!) or the knowlegde of what neds to be done or bought.....
    Last edited by satandpcguy; 12th September 2010 at 01:02 AM.
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks
    Thanks very much for your speedy and detailed reply which is greatly appreciated !

In the light of your above advice, I have done the following:-

Last night, I reset everything in the new box to default, there was no change in the LNB settings when I did that, and then left it unplugged over night.

This morning I plugged it in and brought it out of standby after 15 minutes. Tried 3 different default transponder numbers, 12129V, 11954H and 12207V powering down, rebooting and waiting 5 minutes between each one. Still the same.......For Your Information 29 No satellite signal is being received, please unplug your box from the mains, plug it back in, wait 5 minutes and try again.

Then I tried the new box with no card in ............still the same .............For Your Information 29 No satellite signal is being received, please unplug your box from the mains, plug it back in, wait 5 minutes and try again.

Then I tried my old box with no card, as I only have an old blue card for it, result was For Your Information 29 No satellite signal is being received. (Incidentally, my previous installer said the old box had "had it" because it was pixellating all the time, that's why I bought a new one in the UK).

Does all this confirm your thinking regarding it being a dish/LNB/ cabling problem ? I don't think it can be the cabling because hubby's renewed all that with good quality cable and new fittings at each end.

Depending on your opinion, hubby thinks he should take off the existing LNB and we should take it to the outlet in Rosario that we got the cable from (which is where all the local installers get there stuff from) and get an identical new one and then get a local installer to come and set it up. On the other hand, if it's only dish re-alignment needed, we'd be wasting our money ! I don't suppose you know an installer on Fuerte that you could recommend ???

Audrey ........now less confused thanks to you !!

Thanks
    IF you have tried two boxes on your system and get the same results, and if you have tried various frequencies to help the bx boot up, and still no joy then yes it sounds like either LNB issues, cabling / connection issues or dish alignment issue. (hope the new cable has been done correctly with no short circuits!)

One of these could also be the reason why your previous box was pixelating all the time!

Sorry I dont know any installers on Fuete - try the Fuerte forum?
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain

Thanks
    WE ARE SORTED !!!!! WAAAAAAHOOOOOOO !!!! AT LONG LAST OUR SKY BOX IS WORKING !!!!!! ...............all thanks to the brilliant advice from Sat and PC Guy !!!!!

It was the mention in your last post of short circuits that did it ............

It made hubby think about it, he got out the old cable that he'd replaced but hadn't yet thrown out, and compared how the cable ends were cut by the original installer. He noticed that the "tin-foily type" cable liner was all rough cut and lots of it was inside the cable end fitting, whereas he had cut off all the rough bits and left it all neat and tidy, as is his way !!! Ding ding ding !! He re-did the cable ends at both ends all rough and messy like the original cable !!!

We then plugged everything back in, switched on and, to our utter amazement, there it was........full picture, no pixellating or flickering, absolutely perfect, didn't even need to do a digital transponder change !!!!!!!!!

After we'd done a dance of glee around the lounge, I was dispatched to the lappy by hubby to send you our grateful thanks and bucketfuls of appreciation for your time and patience, just can't thank you enough !!!!!! Bear in mind that we've had no Sky for a total of seven months and your sound advice has sorted it in a couple of days!!!!!!

SAT AND PC GUY YOU ARE OUR HERO !!!!!!!!! ..............AND, IF EVER YOU'RE IN FUERTE, THE CERVEZA IS ON US !!!!!!
    THANKS A MILLION !!!!

Thanks
    Glad to help out!
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thread Information