Thread: Weak signal or no signal with SKY sports 4 & 5

Satellite dish being used
    Portugese 1.9 dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    SKY + THOMSON model 132_168 EPG 5.08.6
    Thanks

Smile Weak signal or no signal with SKY sports 4 & 5

Hi this is my first posting so hoping I get it correct. Apologies in advance if I get something wrong.

I live in the La Marina area between Guardamar & Santa Pola. I have had a 1.9 sat dish for about 2 years. I subscribe to SKY in the UK. I bring my sky+ box & card with me when I come to Spain. I understand the problem here of not getting some channels due to their allocation on certain satellites resulting in a weak signal (e.g. I can’t get my SKY 101 ch for BBC1 North west and have to use the 97x range.

I don’t seem to have any problems with the SKY based channels, e.g. Sky sports 1,2,3 SKY1 , SKY Atlantic etc, except Sky sports 4 & 5 where I get either a very weak signal or no signal at all. Can anybody tell me if this is a “known” problem or is it a problem with my set-up. If it is a known problem, is there a workaround fix?

As a possible alternative, I have tried using my laptop to receive the SKY GO/anywhere service but I’m getting blocked because it knows I’m outside of the UK / ROI. I have assumed I need a proxy server id. Obviously, I’d like to get these channels via my sat dish but would consider the laptop solution if I knew it worked. Can anybody please confirm if the proxy server solution works, and if it does, which is a good source to get if from?

Thanks in anticipation

Mike

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks
    Hi and welcome.

It is a known problems.
    Sky Sports 4 and Sky Sports News, are on a different satellite beam to Sky Sports 1,2 and 3.
    Sky Sports 4 and Sky Sports News are on a "norht beam" whose reception is worse than the south beam that Sky Sports 1,2 and 3 are on.
    So their reception will be different.
    It also affect other chanenls also, you wil get Eurosport 1 all day, yet Eurosport 2 will not be available all day, again different ebams having different reception.

Even on a larger dish, the issue can still remain.

Solution1: Sky Sports 4 HD and Sky Sports New HD will perform the same as Sky Sports 1, Sports 2 and SPorts 3, as they are on the same frequency.
    Solution 2: move north of Valencia where the signals are better.

Forget proxies.
    You will need to connect to a UK VPN system.
    Or, expatshield, if you can handle the ads it infests your PC with.
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Portugese 1.9 dish
    SKY + THOMSON model 132_168 EPG 5.08.6
    Thanks
    Thanks for the speedy reply, most helpful. I had actually mentioned to my other half that a possible solution could be to go to HD which I have been considering for the last few months, this info may just push me to go for it. Also, thanks for confirming the possible pitfalls of a proxy solution. Re sol 2, I think I will stick where I am! Cheers
    Mike

Thread Information