Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recording sky sports

Thanks

recording sky sports

Hi all... I have a problem with my sky set up that to my disbelief googling hasn't helped me with!! Maybe you guys can... Basically I've had a Sky Pace SD DS430N for a few years connected to a DVD recorder via scart out which I've used to record Sky Sports onto DVD with no probs. A couple of weeks ago the box died so I bought a new one, though now its a Pace 2600. I paired the card fine and have all my channels; I've connected it to the same DVD recorder in the same way ; it will record the free channels (bbc itv etc.) fine (just as before) but when I try to record any subscription channel I get a "Can't record picture" message from the DVD recorder. Its obviously something to do with the DRM but the sports channel is not copy protected. (no C on the information banner) so it should record. I chatted to a sky operative (using a vpn just in case .. he re-paired the card, tried this and tried that but eventually gave up and said I should get a technician to come round. ... kind of out the question when you live in Spain. So... questions... why is this happening? what can I do about it? Please help if you can... would be much appreciated, its reeeally annoying to have to go to work and miss the cricket and not have it recorded when I get home (especially considering what it costs!!)
    Thanks in advance!!!

Site Owner / Satellite Installer
    Based in Gandia, covers Calpe to Valencia and inland
    Satellite dish being used
    Marafa (not Famaval!) 1.8m dish, 80cm dish
    Satellite Digibox / Receivers used
    Sky+HD, Sky Pace 2600, Ariva 100, Dreambox DM7025, GI1025E
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I have not heard of any such issues with a 2600 before.

Without knowing how your system is set up it a bit difficult to know an exact solution, but sometimes if the sytem is not set up correctly, then some DVDr can be a pain.
    I dont thnk it is a Sky card pairing issue, or a Sky box problem.

Perhaps it is somehting to do with how you have connected it up?
    Usually it is Sky box tv scart to AV2 on DVD recorder, with AV1 on DVD Recorder going to the TV. Then pretty much anything shown on the TV should be recorded, as the picture on the TV is going through the DVD recorder. If this is how your sytem is set up then I am unable to help further.

(unless there is an issue with your DVDR?)

Or why not consider a Sky+ or a Sky+D box instead, and record directly onto that? Recording functions ar part of your Sky subscription, and you only have to tell the Sky planner what you want to record, as opposed to making sure the sky box is on the correct chanenls AND setting a timer on the DVDr?
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain
    96 281 9796 / 620 130 292
    info@satandpcguy.com (alternate email satandpcguy@gmail.com )
    Costa Blanca Satellite TV / Sky Tv in Spain - Our BLOG
    Like us on Facebook for the latest Satellite TV in Spain

Thanks
    Thanks for your prompt reply! The cables are all fine, there is definitely no problem there. Just to make sure, I tried a couple of other things.. first, I tried recording on the DVD via the rf out with exactly the same result... FTA channels record ok, subscription channels don't. I get the message "Can't record picture" and the machine records a blank screen which is exactly what the instructions say it will do if you try to record protected content. Then I wired the box up to an analogue usb tv tuner connected to my pc (again via rf). Again, the FTA channels record fine but as soon as I tried to record Sky sports, the recording starts up and then shuts off after about 5 seconds. So the conclusion seems inescapable ... Sky have started copyright protecting their sports channel so you cant take their programmes "out the box" so to speak. I can't believe I'm the only one who has noticed this or is having this problem... anyone out there willing to try see if they get the same result???
    As far as a Sky+ box goes, obviously that is the easy solution but having just forked out over 100 quid for the box I have now, thinking I could just merrily carry on recording as I did before (more hassle I know but gives my old DVD recorder a use), I really don't want to have to pay out yet more money for a sky+ box (quite apart from the fact that my wife will have a fit!). So I'm stuck looking for a solution. The only one that occurs to me right now is to play the sports channels through my pc and record with some screen capturing programme that will grab me the image in some nice common video format that I can then play back over my wdtv media player. Pretty messy I know but this is getting personal!!!.... anyone recommend any programme to do this??
    All I want to do is enjoy some quiet evenings in watching cricket!! Why do things have to be so complicated!!!??

Thanks
    A few questiosn:
    what is the make and model of the DVD R?
    Have you tried emailing the DVDR makers to see if they know?
    Have you tried changing the picture format on the sky box - from pal to rgb, or vice versa?
    Is it just Sky Sports or ALL Sky channels you are having problems with?
    £100 is a lot to pay for a 2600.. a bit more and you could get a Sky+ box, a bit more and a Sky+HD!!!
    I have seen a fair number of Pace 2600s connected to external recorders, VHS, DVD, HDD, and have had no problems...but thats on the non sports channels...so perhaps they have started to protect their sports content...(but then it worked fine on mine this evening with no problems, so i know it is not affecting every DVDr!!)
    The Sat and PC Guy
    UK Satellite TV, Sky TV, Freesat TV and Spanish Digital TDT Installations Costa Blanca Spain

Thanks
    The DVD recorder is not the problem.(Its a Sony RDR GX220). Not a pal/rgb issue either. The subscription channels are the only ones I can't record. So just when I was thinking I might go down the sky+ route I read this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-s...-recorder.html
    What do you reckon?

Thanks
    So find or borrow someone elses Sky card, pop it into your box, and try and record a Sky channel like Sky One or Discovery...and see if that works....

The problem should not happen on two cards - it would have a very high probablility of that happening!

And then you will be able to identify if you need a new card or not from Sky...

You can use any sky card in any sky box for all chanenls apart from Sport and Movies without any pairing...so you should have no problems with SKy one or Discovery for example.
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thanks
    Nice idea... shame I don't know anyone round here with a Sky card... think I might go for the Sky+ (using the tried and trusted technique of buy it first, tell the wife later) and take it from there...
    Many thanks for your help, I definitely owe you a beer...

Thanks
    Update: I've changed my mind again! Going to try changing the sky card first a) because its cheaper and b) out of sheer curiosity to see if it is the card or not causing the problem. Will let you know how I get on...

Thanks
    Good idea to try another card first....they do fail sometimes, and if you get a Sky+ or Sky+HD box then it may be that a damaged card may not work or pair correctly and may not record properly!
    The Sat and PC Guy

Thanks
    Got the card today... and no joy! Same message on DVD player. So I'm gonna go for the Sky plus box... but I have a couple of doubts. I'm looking at the Amstrad DXR890 slimline hd recorder. Could anyone tell me if it is possible to send the signal from the box out via hdmi and via scart at the same time? I want to be able to send the signal to my lounge tv via hdmi but also to my kitchen tv via scart. Does it also have a powered rf out port? (for my distribution system) Also,would I need to plug it into a phone line for the sky plus recording functionality to work? I read somewhere I would ... bit of a deal breaker here in Spain. Thanks for your help!

Thread Information