The Premier League’s chances of sealing a staggering £10million-per-game agreement – and £5 billion overall – from the next three-year domestic rights deal are even stronger now two foreign TV giants are involved.
The battle between Sky Sports and BT Sport in the auction for the seven packages was already such that £10m for each of 168 live games was an achievable target.
But the Premier League also have America’s massively-funded Discovery Channel looking closely at the tender document while Qatar-based beIN Sports are discussing whether to bid before the February 6 deadline.
Discovery, famous for their documentaries, look the more interested of the two potential new challengers. They own Eurosport so have an established platform on which to screen matches. Even one of the two mini 14-game packages might be seen as a way of establishing the Discovery-Eurosport partnership in the UK. Sports rights specialist Peter Hutton has been appointed Eurosport CEO to build content.
As for beIN Sports, they have the financial muscle to outbid all rivals and it seems a matter of when, rather than if, they will enter England’s domestic football market.
Doha executives say they will give serious consideration as to whether now is the right time to move. The competition will delight the Premier League, who sell each of the seven packages to the highest bidder, and it might be that three different networks share content from 2016-17.
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- Sky Arts to be available for free on Freeview and Freesat and Sky boxes soon.
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- Three new ITV HD regions testing on satellite, reception may cause problems for Spain
- BeIN Sports (Mena) Receiver Updates Not Working – this solution worked for me!
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- Lost Sky News and Pick? They have changed frequencies!
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- Recommended Internet Speeds for IPTV
- Freesat drops a load of music channels