The BBC will be stopping support, and therefore stopping an early version of the BBC iPlayer app on quite a lot of Freesat set top boxes.
This will happen in September 2016.
The Freesat models affected are those that are without the Freetime label.
If your version of iPlayer looks like this then you’re going to be affected:
The BBC says
“We invest significant time and effort in maximising support for older TV devices and have successfully migrated many hundreds of different devices to the latest version of iPlayer for TVs.
However, unfortunately, it isn’t always possible to migrate older devices to a supportable version of iPlayer. It’s not cost efficient to maintain the implementation of delivering iPlayer to these devices, due to the backend systems and technologies (often 3rd party) on which they depend.”
The full list of devices, provided by the BBC:
Affected devices are mostly first generation Freesat boxes, with some older Freeview devices in the list as well:
|Bush||7105 (500GB) model:|
|Goodmans||7105 (500GB) model:|
|GFSDTR500HD (500 GB)||2009|
|Humax||Foxsat HDR (320GB/500GB/1TB)||2008|
|Panasonic||PAL10 – TX-L37G20B||2010|
|Samsung||SMT-S7800 (500 GB)||2011|
Over the past couple of years, the BBC has been moving devices to a newer platform for the iPlayer, which has added functionality, such as HD TV, live streaming and live programme restart, which isn’t possible with the older versions on Freesat.
This could be one reason why Manhattan have phased out their Plaza HD-S2 Freesat set top box, and are expected to launch a new version mid 2016.
For people with these affected Freesat set top boxes, who want to continue to use the BBC iPlayer, then you will need to upgrade to a newer Freesat set top box, when available.
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- ITV Changes 20th October…Some SD channels closing, more HD channels.
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- ITV1 – SD and HD swap for Sky and Freesat channel 103
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- ITV HD satellite changes
- Using a Sky HD box and recently lost signal for your ITV1 on channel 103?
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- Lost Sky News and Pick? They have changed frequencies!
- Freesat drops a load of music channels