BBC iPlayer catchup service will require user login within weeks
Users of BBC iPlayer on mobile, tablets and computers, will need to enter a password to access the online catchup service within the next few weeks, the BBC has announced.
This week iPlayer users were being notified with a message saying they “will soon need to sign in to watch”, encouraging them to do so before the deadline in a few weeks.
The BBC denied the move was part of a crackdown on TV licence fee evasion, but said email addresses registered to an account may allow it to identify people using the service without paying.
The introduction of a login, which was revealed last September, is part of the BBC’s plans to make services “more personal and relevant to you”, according to Andrew Scott, launch director of MyBBC.
Th plans, say the BBC, include tailoring programme suggestions to users based on previous choices and will allow people to start watching a programme on one device before picking up where they left off on their television.
The changes come after rules introduced last year made watching or downloading BBC programmes through the iPlayer illegal without a TV licence.
The reason for making the changes “isn’t about enforcing the licence fee, it’s about giving you a better BBC and helping you get the best out of it”, said Scott.
He added that the BBC would not be using “mass surveillance techniques or ask internet providers for IP addresses” to identify licence evaders.
“By matching email addresses we may be able to identify someone who has told us they don’t need a TV licence while at the same time having signed in and watched iPlayer,” he continued.
“So we will now use this alongside our existing enforcement techniques to help identify people who are watching licence fee-funded content without a licence.”
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- Some Discovery channels closed on Sky from today
- UK TV and Streaming in Spain post Brexit
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- Kids Channel Number changes on Sky today
- CNN HD change of frequency on the Astra 2 UK TV satellites.
- BeIN Sports (Mena) Receiver Updates Not Working – this solution worked for me!
- Freesat drops a load of music channels