Sony says it is experiencing “a major technical issue” after many owners of its DVD recorders lost access to their Freeview TV channels.
Dozens of owners have written to the BBC to complain that a malfunctioning software update on Friday has caused their devices to stop receiving or recording Freeview.
Many complained about a lack of response from Sony customer support.
Sony said it was doing everything possible to solve the problem.
“A major technical issue has been flagged to our dedicated team. We will update you asap,” the Japanese firm tweeted back on Saturday in response to dozens of messages about the problem.
The company’s own support forums as well as other independent online sites were filled with complaints from irate users over the weekend.
Sony HXD recorders, such as the RDR-HXD870 model, which were updated Friday with the firmware 1.70 fix, seem to be affected by the issue.
“It may already have come to your attention that thousands of owners of Sony DVD units have completely lost all their access to Freeview channels,” Geoff Cheers, from Chorley, wrote to the BBC.
Graham Johnson, from Oxford, wrote: “There are thousands of people affected by this, many of whom, like me, have wasted hours today trying to retune and repair their machine. Many folks, it seems, have also been out and bought a new one.
“Sony’s Twitter feed and own technical support website are in meltdown with angry customers, and Sony themselves are conspicuous by their absence.”
On Sunday, a spokeswoman for Sony UK told the BBC: “We are aware of the issue and our engineers are doing everything to solve it.”
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- ITV Changes 20th October…Some SD channels closing, more HD channels.
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- ITV1 – SD and HD swap for Sky and Freesat channel 103
- Using a Sky HD box and recently lost signal for your ITV1 on channel 103?
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- ITV HD satellite changes
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- Lost Sky News and Pick? They have changed frequencies!
- BeIN Sports (Mena) Receiver Updates Not Working – this solution worked for me!