Subscription based BBC-ITV, dubbed “Britflix”, Netflix rival due to be announced soon
A BBC and ITV joint venture will see the launch of a subscription based on demand service for archive content, set to rival to Netflix from the BBC and ITV could be announced as soon as Wednesday, as part of ITV annual financial results.
The service has been dubbed “Britflix”, is expected to cost £5 per month for UK households (people want to use the service outside the UK will need a VPN or Smart DNS service, such as Smarty DNS Proxy
The service will feature shows from the two broadcaster’s libraries, though series such as Doctor Who and Inspector Morse already feature in free on demand services BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub.
BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub will continue as at present. However the BBC has been seeking to extend the range of content beyond the 28-day catch-up, and ITV already charges a premium of £3.99 for an ad free version, which will be ideal for “Britflix”.
The two want to emulate the success of their JV BritBox, available in the United States for $69.99 per year or $6.99 per month, and which has attracted some 500,000 subscribers in the US and Canada.
UPDATE : 27/02/19
BARCELONA (Reuters) – UK broadcaster ITV said on Wednesday it was teaming up with the BBC to create a British rival to Netflix called “BritBox”.
Chief Executive Carolyn McCall said the partnership, which is close to being concluded, would bring an exciting new subscription video-on-demand service to UK audiences.
“This will provide an unrivalled collection of British boxsets and original series in one place,” she said.
“We anticipate that other partners will be added to BritBox and we will both speak to regulators and the wider industry about our proposals.”
ITV, the broadcaster of soap opera “Coronation Street” and reality show “Love Island”, announced the tie-up along with 2018 results that saw adjusted earnings fall 4 percent in 810 million pounds.
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- BBC Red Button Streams for Summer 2021
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- BBC Olympic Channel Numbers announced for Sky and Freesat
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- BBC Red Button Olympic Frequencies
- UK TV and Streaming in Spain post Brexit
- Freesat 4K Box software update June 2021
- ITV changes on the 13th April 2021
- Power Cuts? No Satellite Signal on your Sky HD box? Here is how to reset a Sky digibox with an alternative default transponder frequency setting.
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box