No firm decision has been made, but the Spanish Government is said to be considering the closure of TVE’s international signal. The high cost of maintaining the worldwide channel and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ negative report concerning the channel may drive the network to closure.
According to PR Noticias, the ministry thinks the channel is damaging to Spain’s international image. In addition, running TVE Internacional is too expensive when compared to the income and investment it generates.
The channel is a reference for the Spanish community abroad, as well as the Latin audience. The channel currently broadcasts news programmes and its own fictional productions, which, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, are not improving Spain’s image internationally.
The broadcasting of the channel involves renting satellite frequencies around the world and distribution deals with several cable and direct-to-home (DTH) platforms, which increases the price of keeping it on air.
This new situation adds to the delicate financial situation of TVE – which may return to private advertising – and the never-ending debate about restructuring the DTT schedule.
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- Confirmation of the latest ITV changes on satellite
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- Freesat 4K Box software update June 2021
- Confirmed : More ITV channels changing frequencies
- ITV changes on the 13th April 2021
- Intelsat 901 has taken over Intelsat 907 operations at 27.5 West
- GB News channel set to launch soon on Freeview, Freesat and Sky