BBC showing classic World Cup matches : World Cup Rewind.
The BBC will relive some classic World Cup encounters with BBC Sport.
Starting with England’s heroic World Cup success in 1966, we’ll rerun, in full and ‘as live’, the highs and lows of the Home Nations’ campaigns of yesteryear.
Thanks to the BBC’s innovative live technology, you will be able to watch or relive classic moments as though they are unfolding for the first time, including the 1966 World Cup final at Wembley, Archie Gemmill’s wonder goal for Scotland in 1978, Gerry Armstrong stunning Spain in 1982, the ‘Hand of God’ in 1986 and Gazza’s tears in 1990.
These matches will be replayed in full and will be given the BBC’s full live treatment, including ‘live’ video, full text commentary and contributions from special guests with unique perspectives on the action, including Gary Lineker.
There will also be the chance to see the original BBC presentation from the likes of Des Lynam, and punditry from Jimmy Hill, Terry Venables and Sir Bobby Charlton, among others.
All matches will be available to watch across four screens – PC, tablet, mobile and connected TV – from bbc.co.uk/worldcup or through the BBC Sport apps for mobiles, tablets and connected TVs.
You will also be able to get involved with the action as it happens through social media – just like every Saturday on the BBC Sport website.
So whether you were a child when Nobby Stiles danced his jig in 1966, were left in tears by Scotland’s near-miss in 1978, had a Chris Waddle mullet in 1990 or were in Spain for Northern Ireland’s famous win in 1982, you’ll be able to reminisce.
And if you’ve only ever seen brief highlights from these games you can now decide for yourself if England were rightful winners in 1966, whether Geoff Hurst’s shot crossed the line or not, if Gazza should have been booked and just how good Gemmill’s goal was.
The full schedule includes:
• Friday 30 May, 12:00 BST: England v West Germany, 1966 final
• Saturday 31 May, 15:00 BST: Scotland v Netherlands, 1978 group match
• Wednesday 4 June, 12:00 BST: England v Argentina, 1986 quarter-final
• Saturday 7 June, 15:00 BST: England v Germany, 1990 semi-final
• Sunday 8 June, 15:00 BST: Spain v Northern Ireland , 1982 group match
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Having temporary loss of UK satellite TV signals in the morning? Dont worry, it is just the biannual solar outage time (March 2021)
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- UK TV and Streaming in Spain post Brexit
- Is Sky UK Cardsharing coming to an end – some channels now unavailable!
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- Freesat drops a load of music channels
- Popular streaming app Mobdro not working and closed down?
- Loss of BBC ITV in Spain and Portugal – beware of a “magic” solution from another satellite!