There have been reports that one of the old UK TV satellites, Eutelsat 28A, is operating on very low power levels.
This low power has affected reception of some Sky and Freesat channels on the Eutelsat 28A satellite.
Over the past week, reception problems occurred on some Sky and Freesat channels, including ESPN HD, CBS Reality, Bonanza Bonanza and Bloomberg.
Eutelsat 28A was launched in 2001, and is about 2 years past it “sell by date”. It carries a number channels, mainly the “cheap” and less popular channels.
It is expected that when the new Astra 2G satellite is in position, sometime early June 2015, this will enable Eutelsat 28A to be removed from service. TV, radio and data feeds currently on Eutelsat 28A are expected to move off the satellite early in June. The channel move from Eutelsat 28A to Astra 2E, Astra 2F and Astra 2G will be done in batches, and are expected to be completed by the end of June 2015.
According to one source the transponders will be moved as follows:
Transponder C1 will move to Astra 2G on the 19th June
Transponders C3 & C4 will move to Astra 2F on 1st June
Transponders C5 & C6 will move to Astra 2E on the 29th June
Transponder C2 move is currently unknown.
This would also mean that the Freesat EPG transponder will also be moving from Eutelsat 28A to an Astra satellite. It is unknown if this will stay or change frequency. If the Freest EPG frequency does change, then hopefully software in the Freesat receivers will be able to accommodate this.
Some channels that used to be on Eutelsat 28A have already been moved to the new Astra 2E and 2F satellites. The changes are usually done at night, at around 2-4am, to minimise the impact to viewers. Sky and Freesat boxes should update to any new frequencies automatically. If you are watching a channel at the time of its move, you may experience a 10-15 minute loss of the channel whilst the swap is taking place.
Top 10 Most Viewed Posts In The Last 7 Days
- Humax Freesat Remote Control not working
- How to add C4HD to your Humax Freesat box
- New Arris Freesat 4K box officially released
- Is Virgin Media “cardsharing” about to end, and will it impact your IPTV?
- Lost Sky News and Pick? They have changed frequencies!
- Viacom to close at least 6 UK satellite channels soon
- Freesat drops a load of music channels
- IPTV Buffering and Freezing – try these tips
- Is Sky UK Cardsharing coming to an end – some channels now unavailable!
- Sky Q – Bundle and equipment details